A wonderful long beach with many activities and cosy restaurants. Since the last couple of years a group of seals lives near the beach of Koksijde. The beach has an average breadth of 50 meters and runs all the way to Dunkirk, which means it has a length of more than 10 kilometres.
During the high season the beach is fairly crowded, but if you take a short walk outside the village, you can enjoy the rest and space. The beach not only is an attractive place for ones that want to lay down the beach all day long, but it also offers you a wide range of sport activities.
The beaches will be cleaned everyday during the summer. Besides the rescue brigade will guard the beaches and warns when there is a dangerous current or wind; a pleasant and safe feeling.
A sunbath or a walk along the beach, playing fun or water sports. The very well maintained, white beaches of will offer you peace and quietness. Optimum facilities will tribute to the comfort and with that the holiday pleasure of the guests. It starts with accessible beach crossings and the lifeguards whom watch over the well being of the guests, with a First aid post nearby. Furthermore the local cafes, terraces and restaurants near the beach will take care of the needs for serving drinks, icecream, lunch and diner.
If the rescue stations are not open, a general swimming prohibition applies. This is clearly indicated with signs 'forbidden to bathe' and / or wind bags. On this page you can check where you can go for a safe splash in the water!
In 2012 received the ‘Quality Coast Award’ for its high quality of human and nature-friendly tourism.
During the summer season, several orientation poles are located on the main beaches of Koksijde. They are a landmark for children on the beach. Each beach orientation pole has a clearly different figure at the top. For children it is easier to make their own way back to the rest of the family, even on a beach full of people. Moreover, it is easier to bring a lost child back to the family.
On the beaches you will find flags and signs with instructions for swimming. It is wise to take account of these signals. They are there for you!
- Swimming allowed
- Swimming prohibited
- Dangerous sea; Floating Bodies prohibited
- Windsock = bathing prohibited!
The beach is the ideal destination for many dogs to enjoy. A Frisbee, a stick or a ball can fetch give great pleasure. And what is more fun than making a beach walk with your dog? However, on various beaches are dogs, loose or on a leash, not allowed all year.
Your dog is allowed on the beach. However, there is one exception: from 1 June to 15 September, dogs are only allowed in three dog zones between 10.30 am and 6.30 pm.
1) Sint-Idesbald: from the municipal border with De Panne to the Pieterlaan (approx. 350 metres),
2) Koksijde: between Elisabethplein and Sint-André (G. Scottlaan) (approx. 1,170 metres),
3) Oostduinkerke: between Felix Timmermanslaan and Paardevissersweg (Groenendijk) (approx. 1,625 metres).
The zones are indicated locally and can also be found in the https://myrs.pics/svg/file-pdf.svg leaflet that can be downloaded from the official Municipality of Koksijde website.
Nearest beach for dogs at Koksijde
- At low tide there is a strong current towards the sea, than stay close to shore. In case you get pulled in by the current do not try to swim straight against it, but swim slanting to the shore with the current. Also be aware of floating devices like air-beds, boats or other swimming devices.
- Do not get to close to the poles, piers or other obstacles.
- Watch your children carefully, do not let them alone near the water. Are there recognition signs on the beach, tell it to your children.
- Help to keep the beaches clean.